Request for Proposal
Superior Waters Story Corps
REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
Superior Waters Story Corps seeks a professional storyteller to perform live, and offer storytelling instruction, before April, 2022 in the Chequamegon Bay area, Wisconsin.
Superior Waters Story Corps also seeks a professional writer to submit a story, and offer writing instruction live or virtually, before March 15, 2022, in the Chequamegon Bay area, Wisconsin.
Superior Waters Story Corps has received a modest grant from the Wirtanen Family Foundation to host a storytelling event (live) and writing instruction (either live or virtual) on a theme highlighting the importance that the waters and watersheds of Lake Superior hold in the lives of all creatures. One of the events will involve performative storytelling and instruction and the other written storytelling through essays, poetry or features, and instruction.
Each of the events will pay the artist/instructor up to $1,000. It is ok to submit a bid for both projects if you feel qualified to write and perform stories, and teach about both genres.
Superior Waters Story Corps will provide a venue or platform, and will organize registration, promotion, logistics, and the support you request to make the event successful for you. Our mission is to increase the capacity of people to express their care for these lands and waters and build the art of oral and written place-making through story. We wish to work in tandem with you to meet this mission.
YOUR PROPOSAL MUST INCLUDE
- Your name and contact information
- Summary of the highlights of your professional work that pertain to this opportunity (Resumes or links to your website optional but feel free to include if helpful in painting the picture of your storytelling/writing experience.)
- Your preferred audience to whom to provide instruction (i.e. would you prefer to work with elementary-aged children? Young adults? Senior citizens? Novices? Advanced storytellers?)
- Please briefly describe (500 words or fewer) what instruction you would feel most comfortable providing? (i.e. on-going mentorship to up to three beginning storytellers? Five virtual afternoons of pointers for a small-group of sign-ups, or 4 one-hour-per-week sessions to a 4-H group? A two-day seminar with performances book-ending the time?)
- Please briefly answer (250 words or fewer) your motivation for storytelling, and how you will go about infectiously sharing your love for the art?
- Please provide at least 2 dates* between August 2021 and April, 2022 that you would be available for performing and instructing. *If you are proposing a multiple day approach to formal instruction, please give the dates in the following format:
|Storytelling Performance||Storytelling Instruction Session 1||Storytelling Instruction Session 2||Storytelling Instruction Section 3|
|Friday, Feb 25, 7 pm – 8:30 pm||Saturday, Feb 26, 1 pm – 6 pm||Sat, Mar 5, 2 pm 8pm|
|Sunday Feb 6, 2022, 5 pm||Feb 6 following performance, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm||Monday, Feb 7, 4 pm-7 pm||Tuesday, Feb 8, 4pm- 7 pm|
- Storyteller: Your fee stated in two parts — $ for performing + $ for instruction/mentoring not to exceed $1,000.
- Writer: Your fee stated in two parts — $ for your written submission + $ for instruction/mentoring not to exceed $1,000.
Please email any questions you have about the proposal process to SuperiorWatersStoryCorps@gmail.com. All questions and answers will be posted to this website.
People with minority backgrounds and/or those with untraditional paths are encouraged to submit.
THE BID PROCESS
- Proposal posted: 2 September, 2021
- Bidders questions answered and posted: September 3 – October 1, 2021
- Proposal submission deadline: October 2, 2021
- Review of proposals: Week of October 4, 2021
- Notification of candidate(s): No later than October 15, 2021
Completed proposals should be emailed to SuperiorWatersStoryCorps@gmail.com by 11:59pm Central Time, October 2.
Those interested in becoming a mentor, but who see this form/application as a barrier, should contact us and we’ll follow up.
We welcome, and look forward to, your best ideas and creative proposals!
Superior Waters Story Corps
DEADLINE AND QUESTIONS
Applications due Saturday, October 2nd at 11:59pm Central Time.
Completed proposals should be emailed to the Superior Waters Story Corps.
Those interested in becoming a mentor, but who see this form/application as a barrier, should contact us and we’ll follow up with you.
All questions and answers will be posted on this page.
Question: I have a question re: the writing instruction proposal. In the submission guidelines you ask to submit the fee request in two parts; one for the instruction and one for a writing submission. Can you clarify how a writing piece would be used by the project?
Answer: To clarify, the proposals we’re currently looking for in this RFP are for written and oral instruction, not specific story submissions. We’re always accepting story submissions (more info here), which will be shared on our website.